PAX Labs is an award-winning consumer technology brand with a mission to establish cannabis as a force for good. Our products set a high bar for quality and, together with the PAX App, offer unique features such as safety locking, adjustable temperature and draw control. As millions of consumers try cannabis for the first time or return to it after a long hiatus, PAX believes that quality, transparency and predictability are the keys to safe, responsible use by adults.
Headquartered in San Francisco, PAX is backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global and Tao Invest (Pritzker family fund). We are an exceptional team with hardware and software backgrounds in consumer technology, healthcare, and biotech, and are growing to deliver on our mission. Our internal culture values diversity, integrity, having an impact, and passion for the larger movement that PAX is a part of.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PAX Labs is seeking a dynamic and collaborative Managing Regulatory & Compliance Counsel with outstanding management, regulatory, compliance, communication, and organizational skills. This person will play a meaningful role in facilitating the Company’s compliance in a highly regulated and dynamic industry. This role is a means to make a difference: ensuring compliance is a critical prerequisite to PAX’s mission to be the world’s best technology brand in cannabis.
This role will lead a high-performing compliance team that works on a variety of compliance issues, with an emphasis on product/marketing in the context of vaporization devices in the cannabis space. It is a highly cross-functional role that involves collaboration with partners at all levels of the organization and offers exceptional opportunities for growth.
You must bring exceptional business judgment and creativity to your daily role and have a track record both of collaborating and thriving in a fast-paced start-up team environment. You must also be willing to pitch in with a diverse range of tasks and work seamlessly and effectively with internal clients and external partners. Leave your lawyer ego at the door!
- Identify and enable the compliance team to execute initiatives that turn unstructured problems into tightly-scoped, high-impact projects.
- Be an outstanding manager of hard-working lawyers and compliance professionals and collaborate closely with colleagues in the legal team
- Develop an in-depth understanding and knowledge of compliance and regulatory issues relating to the vaporizers and the cannabis space in the US and Canada
- Advise on the design, development, implementation, and operation of company-wide compliance programs and initiatives
- Advise our product, marketing, and business development teams in connection with issues relating to vaporization devices in the cannabis space
- Develop and communicate compliance policies, processes, and training
- Partner with finance on state and local tax and business qualification filings
- Lead a team that identifies trends and helps develop strategies and policy proposals to further the interests of PAX and our communities
- Assist in conceptualizing, drafting, and advising on legislative and regulatory proposals covering a wide range of subject matter areas at the local, state, and federal levels
- Review, draft and negotiate compliance-related contracts
- Review and advise on the development of consumer marketing materials and promotions
- Collaborative teammate with high emotional intelligence, strong judgment, humility and a good sense of humor
- JD Degree with 5+ years’ experience in an in-house legal department or at a leading law firm
- Licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state
- Compliance and regulatory experience within a legal department in a high-tech startup and or regulated industry is preferred
- Track-record of leading and growing highly effective and engaged teams
- Understanding of risk assessment and risk management
Key attributes vital for success:
- Dynamic and focused thinker with intellectual horsepower, an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for making a mark in fast-paced, growing environments
- A natural leader and engaged teammate with strong interpersonal capabilities
- Able to juggle and successfully prioritize challenging and voluminous work streams simultaneously
- Inspires a culture of innovation, execution, collaboration, accountability, positivity, and fun
- High degree of organization and efficiency with demonstrated attention to detail
- The highest ethical standards, integrity, authenticity, credibility and character
- Strong work ethic and a willingness to focus and commit
- Ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view and ability to create an inclusive environment
- Candid and personally secure. Ability and willingness to seek and receive feedback constructively
PAX LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- Competitive compensation, equity & bi-annual performance reviews
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K plan
- Generous PTO policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
- Cell Phone reimbursement
- Employee Purchase Program for discounted PAX devices
- Weekly catered lunch, endless snacks and beverages
- Dog Friendly HQ in the Mission District of San Francisco
- Employee Assistance Program including access to online legal support
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.